Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Something to think about


Posted by Picasa
These pictures have nothing to do with this post. They are just cute.

Something has bothered me for the last several years: those mini-storage places. Once I was driving past one and it just hit me like a ton of bricks. As Americans we have so much stuff that we have to rent more space (outside of our already enormous dwellings) to keep it all. Not only that, but those storage places are NICE. Way nicer than the place that hundreds of millions of people on this planet call home. Seriously. The rent for one month storage costs as much most people in Kenya make in about 2 or 3 months. They are super secure and climate controlled. We air condition our stuff. Really? How messed up is that?

So know I'm in a pickle. In two weeks we are moving and we have to store our stuff . . . in one of those places. I'm rationalizing it because it is not our extra stuff it is actually everything that we own crammed in a 10 x 15 space. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I feel like I'm having a lot of rubber meets the road moments like that lately. I'm not sure why my furniture is going to be more comfortable than most people on the planet but it looks like that is what is going to happen.

No comments: