Monday, September 08, 2008

Prima Ballerina

You are in the doctor's office for the "big" ultrasound appointment to find out, first of all, the health of your baby and second what kind of plumbing they have. You anxiously await the verdict. Then she says "there it is - the equal sign - that means a GIRL!". Immediately you think pink. It's a girl. And then somewhere in the next few minutes of picturing your baby girl you imagine this day . . .



Our first day of ballet. A little girl in a pink tutu. Really - nothing cuter. Honestly, I don't even really like ballet that much. I'm totally fine never seeing the Nutcracker ever again. I agree it is quite pretty but I am kind of always waiting for the singing to begin. Even so, I guess I just consider preschool ballet a bit of a rite of passage so I was thrilled to go buy those precious little slippers and our first tutu and head out to the dance studio for the first time.
If one mini ballerina is adorable ten of them is almost too much! They all looked just darling. All of us moms gathered in the small observation room proudly watching our little ballerinas prance around. Ooos and ahhhhs abounded. But then it happened. I watched with concern as Claire's face filled with anxiety, skepticism and then tears. It appeared as though all the other little girls were veteran ballerinas at 2 1/2. They all knew the little dances and songs and happily turned in circles to the tune of the piano. Once the switch was pulled there was really nothing anyone could do . . . the tears started and she cried the whole time.
This was one unhappy ballerina. She kept looking at that one way mirror knowing that I was behind there somewhere and pleading with the most pitiful ballerina-face I've ever seen to make this whole experience stop. What is so funny is that Claire is NEVER "that" crying kid. She is almost always very happy to go wherever we drop her off or do whatever activity we have in mind. Not so much today. She would quiet down for a few brief moments the crank right up again for the entire 45 minute class. When all of the girls came running through the door when they were finished I said "Did you have fun at ballet" and she enthusiastically said "yes"! What? She's been singing the songs and pretending she is the ballet teacher all afternoon! We've discussed it and she said she won't cry at ballet next we so we will see. I'm not sure what part of the whole experience un-nerved her so I'm not too sure what to do to make it better. I guess we will just see what happens next week. It was sweet when we got to the car after class she looked up at me and said "I need a hug, Mommy". What a rough day for a 2 year old. I bet she did need a hug. So I gave her a big one and she held on a little longer than she usually does.
Not to leave out my other child I just had to snap this picture of him asleep in the car today. He was such good little brother - skipping his nap and going to ballet with his sister. It just wore him out. When I saw him asleep like this I thought how cute he looked I wanted to capture it. This is one of those everyday moments in our life that gets kind of skipped over but it's how I see my kids so much of every day. In the carseat, in the grocery cart, in the stroller. Not particularly "photographic" moments but still true life. These are the images that are burned in my mind and when I look back in 10 years and see this picture of him in his carseat I know it is going to flood me with memories of him as a baby.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

The Kenyons said...

She looks adorable!! Poor thing, can't wait to hear how next week goes!!

Are We There Yet?? said...

Poor little thing. She does look super-adorable though!

Supposedly I was the same way. My mom has always told me that I cried every time she took me to ballet but loved my tap class. Who knows why...

Maybe she's more like us and needs some soccer cleats on those feet. ;)

Shanan & Shannon said...

oh, what a day for the most adorable ballerina in the world! How unusual for Claire to be so anxious, but I'm sure she'll be perfectly fine next week. At least she thought she had fun, although she may not remember how miserable she was, and how great that she was reliving her experience, although totally different, all afternoon. I'm so glad you were able to find a class for her - I know that was important to you. Keep sending pretty in pink pics...I'm afraid I'll never have them on my own!!!

Hannah Fields said...

ok this may sound strange but here it goes anyway. I fell upon your blog while i was looking for my sister in laws blog. her last name is shirley. anyway, i saw your precious ballerina and decided to give it a read. i was looking at your blog stalker addresses and saw the sticklers blog. she is a friend of mine and i read her blog almost daily. it is a small world.

Stacy said...

What a little trooper she is - wanting to have fun, but a little overwhelming. Don't you wish we could stand behind one way mirrors all day to watch our little ones? I can't wait for our first ballet class with baby Frances. I love the lingering hugs as well.

Julie Garrett said...

Well, that is definitely one of the cutest things that I have ever seen! I would love to have a little pink tutu in our house one day! Maybe some day!